Sunday, July 26, 2009

Electronic Journal, Week Four Prompt

Judging the Value of Expertise on the Web

When I go to the web for expert advice, it's usually for one of the following: PC hardware/software related, vehicle repair-related, hobby-related such as cameras, musical instruments, entertainment-related, or travel-related.

When it comes to a product such as PC hardware or software I generally rely on the expertise of the product's website. If I received conflicting information from someone in a face-to-face setting and had to choose between what I read on a web page concerning hardware or software and input I received from someone in a the face-to-face setting, I'd weigh more in favor of the producer's web information, simply because it is a source and the owning company places stock in the information that is offered on their site.

Outside of hardware/software related content, if I look to the web as a resource for information I often review multiple sites to see if I can find supporting or additional information.
When it comes to vehicle repair-related content -- which may incur a greater cost, I will first compare information between websites and then contact a professional. I generally go to websites first to get a better handle on a subject matter so that I will be able to use the right language when I speak with someone in a face-t-face session. But if a potential cost or risk is involved -- and because I want someone to back up what I'm being informed about -- I'll regularly defer to the advice from a face-to-face encounter, which is usually in the form of a well respected auto-dealership service department or motorcycle mechanic.

When it comes to hobby, entertainment, or travel related content where no great a risk is involved, if for instance I heard someone's opinion about a travel destination or a product, and I if had questions about that subject or topic I might search the web to compare opinions. I often frequent Amazon to read reviews of a product I am interested in purchasing (whether I purchase the product from Amazon or from another site); I regularly review the lower-rated reviews for their insights as well as the higher-rated ones. Amazon is a great resource for just plain folks' reviews!

In closing, an old high school adage I often apply when reading from the web is this: consider the source. Is the author informed and if so what does the author stand to gain? Who's following the author's opinions and what do they have to say? Just as in first-life, one shouId question the motivation behind the content or the posturing of content posted on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment