Tuesday, July 7, 2009

AACE web conference, Evite.com, Pro-Ams

Today I attended the online AACE web conference, Social Media: Trends and Implications for Learning. I also notified my coworkers about this conference and know that at least one of my associates also attended. It was informative in that I heard many of the same terms or ideas we read last week in Shirky and are reading this week in Bruns. One of the items addressed was about a study that acknowledged that teens are socially active and using online tools, and if I recall correctly, that female teens are more active than male teens. I tried taking notes early on but with all the links being made available to download-able materials, all I managed to do was to jot down new terms or names of apps that were new to me.

This morning I experimented for a couple of hours with an online events planning/invitation service, Evite.com. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could enter most of the content I wanted for my Produsage assignment, including links to other sites and the capability to upload a jpeg; these were all my baseline requirements for the invitations I plan to send out to my classmates. I will need to request my classmates' email addresses so that I may send out invites.

Tonight I finished reading the second chapter of our course text. I find that it dovetails nicely with what we read last week, 'Here Comes Everybody'. As I read, I got to thinking about open source apps, and the only one that I and everyone I know claim to be satisfied with is Mozilla Firefox with all its add-ons. It's surprising to me that more open source apps aren't as well developed as Firefox.
I also downloaded the pdf file that Vanessa made available on Pro-Ams, thinking it was going to be a short paper... I have acquantances, coworkers who seem to fit what I think of as Pro-Ams; might Pro-Ams be simply a personality type? 'Guess I should read the paper on Pro-Ams...

2 comments:

  1. Wow~ it seems you had very long day and a lot things happened. It is interesting to know that female teens are more active than male teens in using online tools. I know many girls are putting their effort to make pretty blog and facebook, while men are on out-going activities. May it be one of the reasons for that fact?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is that they were referencing the Pew Center's research. Here is the link
    http://www.pewinternet.org/

    ReplyDelete